A petition started on Change.org to have puppets Bert and Enrie marry is almost at 8,000 signatures.
The petition was started by a Lair Scott from Oak Park, IL.
She writes: "In this horrific age of LGBT kids taking their own lives, they need to know that they ARE BEAUTIFUL and their lives are worth living. Aside from those that are committing suicide, the bullies that facilitate these tragedies need to learn that homophobia is NOT okay. They need to know that acceptance of their fellow human beings would indeed plant a seed of peace that will reverberate throughout the world. We are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful. Only that they allow Bert & Ernie to marry or even add a transgender character to the show. It can be done in a tasteful way. Let us teach tolerance of those that are different. Let Sesame Street and PBS Kids be a big part in saving many worthy lives. Please visit our Facebook page."
To see the petition, visit www.change.org/petitions/let-bert-ernie-get-married-on-sesame-street.
To see Bert and Ernie's Facebook page click here.
Scott was on a social-media roll and created a Twitter account and an email: OutBertandErnie@gmail.com and @ShaneCWT, which belongs to Shane Cowart of Kirbyville, TX, who said he is a "compassionate 33-year-old activist fighting the good fight for LGBT rights and suicide prevention. Aside from that, I have a broad and witty sense of humor."
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Earthlike Planet Found in Red Dwarf's Goldilocks Zone
- Twitter Offers App Install Ads
- Natural Gas Shoots Up on Bullish Stockpile Report
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- Generating Solar Power in the Dark
- Chipotle Plans First Price Rise in 3 Years