A petition started on Change.org to have puppets Bert and Enrie marry is almost at 8,000 signatures.
The petition was started by a Lair Scott from Oak Park, IL.
She writes: "In this horrific age of LGBT kids taking their own lives, they need to know that they ARE BEAUTIFUL and their lives are worth living. Aside from those that are committing suicide, the bullies that facilitate these tragedies need to learn that homophobia is NOT okay. They need to know that acceptance of their fellow human beings would indeed plant a seed of peace that will reverberate throughout the world. We are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful. Only that they allow Bert & Ernie to marry or even add a transgender character to the show. It can be done in a tasteful way. Let us teach tolerance of those that are different. Let Sesame Street and PBS Kids be a big part in saving many worthy lives. Please visit our Facebook page."
To see the petition, visit www.change.org/petitions/let-bert-ernie-get-married-on-sesame-street.
To see Bert and Ernie's Facebook page click here.
Scott was on a social-media roll and created a Twitter account and an email: OutBertandErnie@gmail.com and @ShaneCWT, which belongs to Shane Cowart of Kirbyville, TX, who said he is a "compassionate 33-year-old activist fighting the good fight for LGBT rights and suicide prevention. Aside from that, I have a broad and witty sense of humor."
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays