eBay reported a 25 percent rise in second-quarter revenue to $2.8 billion as net income rose 31 percent to $283 million.
The results were driven by the strong performance of eBay's Paypal online payments division which saw its first billion-dollar-revenue quarter, and amassed 100 million active registered accounts, a 15 percent increase over the year-ago period. The business' total payment volume grew 34 percent to $28.7 billion, eBay said.
On the company's online auction sites saw gross merchandise volume increase by 17 percent compared to the year ago period to $14.7 billion, with sales rising 14 percent in the U.S. and 19 percent internationally.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?
- Lack of Sea Ice Brings 35,000 Walruses Ashore