eBay reported a 25 percent rise in second-quarter revenue to $2.8 billion as net income rose 31 percent to $283 million.
The results were driven by the strong performance of eBay's Paypal online payments division which saw its first billion-dollar-revenue quarter, and amassed 100 million active registered accounts, a 15 percent increase over the year-ago period. The business' total payment volume grew 34 percent to $28.7 billion, eBay said.
On the company's online auction sites saw gross merchandise volume increase by 17 percent compared to the year ago period to $14.7 billion, with sales rising 14 percent in the U.S. and 19 percent internationally.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Planet of the Apes' Thumps the Competition
- Kerry Holds Nuke Talks With Iran
- Deaths Mount in Gaza Airstrikes
- Citigroup to Pay $7 Billion to Settle Subprime Probe
- Volkswagen to Build New SUV in Tennessee
- Banco Espirito Stock Falls Despite New CEO
- Ex-CalPERS Chief Admits Receiving Bribes
- Elizabeth Warren Gives Dems a Boost
- Citi Income Drops on Mortgage Charge
- ConAgra Buys China Spuds Processor