Today, U.S. News and World Report unveiled its best diet out of 20 of the most popular diets available. The DASH Diet was named by the publication's panel as the most effective and best overall diet. But what is the DASH Diet?
The DASH Diet was developed by the U.S. National Institutes of Health with the goal of lowering blood pressure without medication. It adheres to principles that seem simple, yet aren't widely followed during this era of convenience food and expanding obesity: balance, specifically of protein, good carbs, and fats.
It recommends whole grains, an increased consumption of fruits and especially vegetables over the average American diet, and limited fats and sweets.
A full DASH Diet meal plan can be purchased in book form, but a little Internet research, starting from the DASH Diet's own Web page (dashdiet.org) can get you started without committing to the near $20 purchase (or order the eBook edition for Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc., for $10).
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Intruder Gets into White House
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas