Today, U.S. News and World Report unveiled its best diet out of 20 of the most popular diets available. The DASH Diet was named by the publication's panel as the most effective and best overall diet. But what is the DASH Diet?
The DASH Diet was developed by the U.S. National Institutes of Health with the goal of lowering blood pressure without medication. It adheres to principles that seem simple, yet aren't widely followed during this era of convenience food and expanding obesity: balance, specifically of protein, good carbs, and fats.
It recommends whole grains, an increased consumption of fruits and especially vegetables over the average American diet, and limited fats and sweets.
A full DASH Diet meal plan can be purchased in book form, but a little Internet research, starting from the DASH Diet's own Web page (dashdiet.org) can get you started without committing to the near $20 purchase (or order the eBook edition for Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc., for $10).
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security