was the year of the fascinator.
Fashion also brought back color blocking, stars, stripes and stockings.
In 2011, fashion went wild and many celebrities dazzled with bold, glittery choices. But it was also a renewed age of innocence, with modesty making a royal comeback.
It was also a memorable year for "fashion moments," perpetuated by a team of celebrity stylists, who in turn became celebrities themselves.
The single most memorable fashion moment in 2011 occurred outside Westminster Abbey, as Catherine Middleton stepped out of her car in a delicate dress by Alexander McQueen's Sarah Burton.
It'll be hard to top this year in fashion, and many celebrities (and their stylists) did it justice.
Here's our top 10 best-dressed celebrities of 2011:
1. Jennifer Lopez: At 42, the singer/actress and host of "American Idol" showed the world that age doesn't mean a thing -- if you look like her. In one dazzling outfit after another -- including barely-there mini dresses, such as the gilded silver dress by Emilio Pucci at the Grammys -- she made her "comeback" one that was fashionably flawless.
2. Kate Middleton: In the opposite direction was the now Duchess of Cambridge. Her wedding gown aside, Middleton proved to the world that you can still be sexy and wear a sheer stocking. She also repeated many outfits, proving her "commoner" upbringing was infused with stylish common sense.
3. Anne Hathaway: Her mention on this list comes from just one night -- hosting the Academy Awards. She and celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe put together a stunning array of looks, a dream dress collection. From her Valentino-red look on the red carpet, to electric blue Armani Prive to fringing Oscar de la Renta, Hathaway understood that fashion was what truly rules the night of Oscar.
4. Pippa Middleton: Yes, her sister married the future King of England, but Pippa stole the fashion show. It may have been her white Alexander McQueen bridesmaid dress that caused the world to take notice, but Kate's kid sister showed off her casual-chic style all year as she was endlessly photographed wearing cool skinny jeans and effortless dresses. She even had a handbag named after her, the Pippa bag from Modalu.
5. Emma Stone; This "it" girl in Hollywood turned up at every red carpet premiere and appearance looking polished and sophisticated with some age-appropriate whimsy (such as the red and hot-pink frock from Giambattista Valli). As the star of "The Help" stepped up her fashion, starting with a coral cap-sleeved Calvin Klein gown at the Golden Globes, she also progressed from starlet to full-fledged movie star. Image is everything.
6. Natalie Portman: Sure she won an Oscar for playing a skinny ballerina in "Black Swan," but Portman's baby bump did not keep her from ruling the red carpets at awards season. From her white, strapless Azzaro dress at the Screen Actor's Guild awards, to her purple Rodarte Oscar dress, her curves made us notice.
7. Mila Kunis: The second "Swan" to wow on the fashion scene, Kunis' looks kept our interest all year promoting films and stepping on the red carpets. She turned up in an emerald, one-shouldered Vera Wang for the Golden Globes, and turned up the volume with a lilac Elie Saab gown at the Academy Awards.
8. Lea Michele: She was a scene-stealer on "Glee," but she also stole a few "best dressed" votes for her knockout looks -- and oft-impersonated red carpet diva pose. But who can blame the brunette beauty? She was pretty in pink in Oscar de la Renta at the Golden Globes, and sexy in a sizzling red Marchesa dress at the Emmys. The girl can sing -- and rock a red carpet.
9. Gwyneth Paltrow: The Oscar-winning mother of two proved that she's still a style icon by wearing some modern looks this year, notably by designer pal Stella McCartney and a shimmering silver Calvin Klein number at the Oscars. But she also used her clothing to show off the hours of work at the gym -- the midriff-baring Emilio Pucci dress at the Emmys was a risky but interesting move.
10. Rooney Mara: This Hollywood newcomer will be universally known thanks to her knockout turn in "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." The diminutive star had to severely alter her appearance to play the dark role, but Mara has turned the resulting pixie cut to her advantage in striking, glamorous styles. Her white Givenchy Haute Couture gown at the London premiere of the film is a stunning standout.
Worst fashion moments of 2011
In many cases this year, the question, "Who are you wearing?" should have been phrased, "Why are you wearing that?"
From fascinator flubs to candy confections gone sour, here are our choices for the worst-dressed celebrity moments of the year. One cannot always dress poorly, so we've limited them to singular incidents of bad judgment.
1. Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie at the Royal Wedding: This was the fascinator faux pas seen 'round the world. Why would these two pretty princesses turn up to their cousin's fairy tale wedding looking like two of Cinderella's not-so-sweet step-sisters? At least they donated these hideous Philip Treacy-designed fascinators to charity, and promply hired a new stylist. Lesson learned.
2. Nicki Minaj at the 39th Annual American Music Awards: The always interesting entertainer certainly takes her pop star status seriously, but during this particular performance, Minaj performed in an outer-space ensemble that made her resemble a cross between Strawberry Shortcake and an extra in "Star Wars." Mixed metaphors galore.
3. Snooki storms Italy: Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, star of MTV's "Jersey Shore," took her flair for fur and other overly exposing tastes on the road to Florence, Italy, in 2011. She and the other roommates tried to go ladylike and wear hats on a day excursion, but she still proved to look more like a lady who loses her lunch.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks