Amy Winehouse died of accidental alcohol poisoning after drinking more than five times Britain's drunk-driving limit, a British coroner said Wednesday.
Coroner Suzanne Greenway said the 27-year-old singer, who had a history of drug and alcohol abuse, had consumed a very large quantity of alcohol before her death in July.
Greenway, speaking at an inquest Wednesday in London, said a postmortem examination of Winehouse's body found no traces of illegal drugs. She said the huge amounts of alcohol in her system could have caused her to stop breathing and fall into a coma.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.