Penelope Cruz, 36, has confirmed that she has given birth to a son.
Cruz and her husband, Spanish actor Javier Bardem, 41, "welcomed their first child last week," the daily El Pais on Thursday quoted a communique issued by Cruz' representatives as saying.
"Both the child and its parents are in perfect health and very happy," the communique added.
The two actors, who try fiercely to protect their privacy, did not give more details.
The baby was born shortly before Bardem was nominated for an Oscar for his role in Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's film Biutiful.
The weekly Hola on Wednesday published pictures of Bardem, Cruz' mother and siblings arriving at the exclusive Los Angeles clinic where the baby was born.
Cruz and Bardem were married in the Bamahas in July 2010.
Cruz won an Oscar in 2009 for her supporting role in Woody Allen's film Vicky Cristina Barcelona, a year after Bardem won an Oscar in the same category for his performance in the Coen brothers' movie No Country for Old Men.
Cruz's earlier partners have included Hollywood actors Tom Cruise and Matthew McConaughey.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder