Talk show host Rush Limbaugh said today that Tuscon gunman Jarred Loughner is smiling in his mugshot because he knows "he has the full support of a major political party in this country."
It was the latest salvo in a war of words between Mr. Limbaugh and other conservative pundits and those on the left who claim that conservatives have created a political climate that promotes violent acts against goverment officials.
Although there has been no evidence to date that Loughner's acts were directly motivated by politics, commentators like HBO's Bill Maher have claimed that the hostile attitude of members of the tea party, with some members attending rallies carrying handguns, has created a toxic mix of anger and hostility conducive to outbursts of violence.
Sarah Palin reacted to the claims by releasing a video on her Facebook page Wednesday morning accusing the media of engaging in 'Blood Libel' by accusing her and other conservatives of creating a gun-happy environment that encourages mentally unbalanced individuals to act out.
That was followed later Wednesday by Limbaugh's assertion that Democrats are supporting Loughner.
President Barack Obama is scheduled to speak Wednesday night in Arizona at a memorial for victims of the shooting.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column