Jerry Lee Lewis, a rock pioneer famous for playing his piano with his feet, celebrates his 75th birthday today.
Knicknamed 'The Killer' because of his forceful voice and energetic stage persona, Lewis did not alter the trajectory of rock. He knocked the rock world off its access and booted it like a soccer ball with a unique brand of stage exuberance and hard living.
Lewis married six times, was only 14 years old upon his first wedding, and he once purportedly married a cousin.
Another cousin, Jimmy Swaggart, was a disgraced tel-Evangelist who lost everything to scandal.
The media named his new style of music, "rockabilly," with such 70s hits as 'Great Balls of Fire,' 'Whole Lotta Twistin' Goin' On' and 'Good Golly Miss molly.'
Lewis was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column