A handful of Kimbo Slice's castmates for the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter have apparently been leaked. A popular mixed martial arts Web site is reporting today that Slice will be joined by 4 former NFL players.
The players are Marcus Jones, Matt Mitrione, Brendan Schaub and Wes Shivers, according to www.mmajunkie.com.
The official roster has not been released by UFC. The show debuts on Sept. 16.
The Ultimate Fighter, which airs on Spike TV, helped launch UFC into the mainstream. The regular weekly television exposure helped fans identify with up-and-coming fighters and helped bring legitimacy to a sport that was often in the 1990s dubbed "cage-fighting" or "bar fights."
The reality-based storyline this season will likely revolve around Slice, who gained fame on YouTube for several backyard knockouts of unknown fighters. He eventually was signed by the now defunct EliteXC and brought into people's living rooms via CBS' "Saturday Night Fights," in 2008. But after one victory, Slice was knocked out in 14 seconds, and hopes of promoting the heavyweight as the next Mike Tyson, faded. EliteXC folded a few weeks after Slice's knockout.
By appearing on TUF, Slice is hoping to return to the spotlight and rebuild his tough-guy image.
Most Popular Stories
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery
- Pickup Discounts Boost September Auto Sales
- N.Y. Ups Awards of State Contracts to Minorities