It's been a bad couple of weeks for celebrity blogger Perez Hilton. First, he gets punched in the face after a verbal spat with Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.i.am. Now, his Twitter followers are reportedly leaving him in droves for a post he created in the moments after media outlets reported that Michael Jackson had a heart attack.
"Heart attack, or cold feet?" was the title of the post on the wildly popular Perezhilton.com, hand-scrawled in Hilton's trademark white pen above a photo of Michael Jackson.
The post went on to speculate that Jackson might be faking his ailment to get out of the much-hyped comeback tour.
"Supposedly, the singer went into cardiac arrest," Hilton wrote in his blog, adding, "We are dubious!!"
"Either he's lying or making himself sick," the blog continued. Hilton urged those who had purchased tickets to get their money back.
"Jacko pulled a similar stunt when he was getting ready for his big HBO special in '95 when he 'collapsed' at rehearsal!"
Hilton has since replaced the original post, which can be seen here.
Furious Jackson fans quickly set up the Twitter hash tag #unfollowperez.
On Friday, Mediabistro.com reported that Hilton's Twitter followers had dropped to 800,000 from 1.8 million. But by Monday, his fans apparently started coming back, as he had 1.1 million followers as of press time.
In related news, last week's punch-to-the-face incident has taken another interesting turn. Hilton was scolded by the gay-rights group GLAAD, which demanded an apology for his using gay slur during the argument with will.i.am. Hilton, who is gay, posted an apology on his blog (though he made a point to say he isn't apologizing to GLAAD), and said he would donate any proceeds from his lawsuit against the alleged assailant to the Matthew Shepard Foundation. But the foundation came out with a statement saying it would not accept the funds. Ouch.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Boehner Says Impeachment Talk Is Democrat Scam
- You're So Vain: Microsoft to Launch First 'Selfie Phone'
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow for 6th Month in a Row
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply