In the world of business, a major recession does not necessarily mean everybody suffers together. Bright spots always exist.
Sometimes the trend-beaters are individual companies, and sometimes -- as this year's HB 500 shows -- they are entire industries.
Surprisingly, despite Wall Street's ignominious role in the unraveling of the U.S. economy, the financial sector was a stellar performer within the HB 500. Although finance is one of the smallest sectors in the directory -- with just 13 companies on the list -- its one-year 17.2 percent surge in overall earnings is nonetheless impressive.
But when it comes to longer-term improvements, this year's winner is the service sector. This industry -- which includes health care companies, human resource outsourcing firms, and telecom service providers -- was the only area of business to post an increase for the second year in a row.
To read the rest of the story, access the complete June issue, and access to all digital archives, click here
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Hope Solo Sets Shutout Record in US Rout of Mexico
- Hurdles for Obama Health Law in Second Enrollment Season
- Etsy Says 'No' to Redskins Logo, Name
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Sneak Peek: A Roundup of 2015 New Models