A leading computer security firm is giving away a free downloadable antivirus product that uses cloud computing to protect personal computers from Cyber nasties such as last month's dreaded Conficker computer worm.
Panda Security, the Spain-based creator of Panda Internet Security and Panda Antivirus, earlier this month unveiled a beta version of its new product, Panda Cloud Antivirus.
(Click here to download the free program.)
Cloud computing harnesses the collective intelligence of millions of computer users on the Internet, rather than a central server at any given central office.
Panda executives say the program will detect viruses and malware within six minutes.
Speaking to HispanicBusiness.com, Panda CEO Juan Santana said the program is easy on the computer, taking up just 17 MB (megabytes) of memory, compared to the industry standard of 52 MB.
In layman's terms, Santana says, while a regular antivirus product slows down the average computer by 10 percent, the free Panda product will bog it down by only 5 percent.
The program will be free indefinitely -- even after the beta period, he said.
"We are the first major vendor to do something like that," Santana told HispanicBusiness.com.
Santana admitted that the giveaway is partly an effort to expand the 19-year-old company's profile in the United States.
"We are very well known in Europe," he said. "Historically, we have had some breakthroughs in technology that for some reason are not widely known to the public."
Most Popular Stories
- World Bank: Rich Countries Must Curb Emissions
- Airport Garners Social Media Award
- Social Media Campaign Increases Organ Donor Registrations
- What Will Happen When Quantitative Easing Ends?
- Immigration Reform Would Decrease U.S. Budget Deficit
- MillerCoors Taps New Hispanic Ad Agency
- Aetna Leaving California's Individual Health Insurance Market
- Conference Slated for Hispanic Tech Startups
- Tea Party Wants to 'Audit the IRS'
- Calories Count: Starbucks to Post the Numbers on Menu Boards