A leading computer security firm is giving away a free downloadable antivirus product that uses cloud computing to protect personal computers from Cyber nasties such as last month's dreaded Conficker computer worm.
Panda Security, the Spain-based creator of Panda Internet Security and Panda Antivirus, earlier this month unveiled a beta version of its new product, Panda Cloud Antivirus.
(Click here to download the free program.)
Cloud computing harnesses the collective intelligence of millions of computer users on the Internet, rather than a central server at any given central office.
Panda executives say the program will detect viruses and malware within six minutes.
Speaking to HispanicBusiness.com, Panda CEO Juan Santana said the program is easy on the computer, taking up just 17 MB (megabytes) of memory, compared to the industry standard of 52 MB.
In layman's terms, Santana says, while a regular antivirus product slows down the average computer by 10 percent, the free Panda product will bog it down by only 5 percent.
The program will be free indefinitely -- even after the beta period, he said.
"We are the first major vendor to do something like that," Santana told HispanicBusiness.com.
Santana admitted that the giveaway is partly an effort to expand the 19-year-old company's profile in the United States.
"We are very well known in Europe," he said. "Historically, we have had some breakthroughs in technology that for some reason are not widely known to the public."
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- China Approves iPhone 6 After Security Assurances
- Meet the YouTube Tech Review Sensation
- U.S. Home Prices Rose at Slowest Pace in 20 Months
- Who Is Daniel Ivascyn?
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Netflix Eyes Hollywood With Feature Film
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million