In an era of corporate scandals and federal government bailouts, the country's nonprofit organizations have continued their quiet and noble mission.
Hispanic nonprofit organizations in particular have thrived in their efforts to assist minority communities in obtaining a greater share of public dollars to support the rising social needs of the communities they serve.
In this edition, HispanicBusiness Magazine presents the list of 25 leading Hispanic-run nonprofit organizations ranked according to their expenditures. While many big businesses failed in 2008, these nonprofits increased expenditures from $702 million in 2007 to $802 million in 2008.
The Top 25 Hispanic nonprofits are on their way to capturing their first billion dollars in consolidated expenditures.
The competitive world of minority nonprofit funding assumed this year a more aggressive and edgy posture toward large-scale public foundations that fund diverse social and cultural programs through their giving. As nonprofits look to survive the current tumultuous economic conditions, there is an effort mounting nationwide to influence big foundations to disclose the racial/ethnic makeup of the nonprofits to which they give money. It's a move ultimately designed to get more financing flowing to minority-run nonprofit organizations.
The debate escalated in California in 2008 and has expanded into Florida and likely beyond in 2009.
In California, state Assemblyman Joe Coto (D-San Jose) wrote AB 624, a measure that would require foundations with assets of $250 million or more to divulge the racial makeup of the charities they give to.
To read the rest of the story, access the complete May issue, and get access to all digital archives, click here
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column