WASHINGTON, April 2 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Dr. Jane L. Delgado, President and CEO of the National Alliance for Hispanic Health, the nation's leading Hispanic health advocacy group, released the following statement on the House's passage of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, which will provide the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) with authority to regulate tobacco products.
"Fifteen years ago Congressman Waxman summoned the heads of big tobacco to the Capitol for a hearing where they all testified that nicotine is not addictive. Today, Congress is finally one step closer to putting the regulation of tobacco in the hands of scientists who will tell the truth to the American public and protect our health -- the FDA.
"This legislation will give the American public accurate disclosure of toxic substances in tobacco and allow FDA to protect the public's health through better warnings on tobacco products and restrictions on promotion.
"Every day 3,500 children try a cigarette for the first time and another 1,000 become addicted. New data show that Hispanics 8th graders are now more likely than their peers to have smoked. Before another generation becomes addicted to tobacco Congress must tell big tobacco their duplicity is over. We urge swift passage in the Senate of FDA regulation of tobacco and look forward to President Obama making it law."
About the National Alliance for Hispanic Health The National Alliance for Hispanic Health is the nation's foremost source of information and trusted advocate for the health of Hispanics in the United States. The Alliance represents thousands of Hispanic health providers across the nation providing services to more than 15 million each year, making a daily difference in the lives of Hispanic communities and families. For more information, visit http://www.hispanichealth.org/ or call the Alliance's Su Familia National Hispanic Family Health Helpline at 1-866-783-2645. National Alliance for Hispanic Health
Web Site: http://www.hispanichealth.org/
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women