The Volkswagen CC VR6 4Motion is really a "Q" car. "Q" for quirky.
On the high seas, a Q ship is a warship in disguise. That fits the VW CC as well.
The highly styled four-door gets off the mark with series of throaty gearshift changes. It reaches 60 mph in a quick 6.6 seconds while sounding like a racecar.
Drivers can let the six-speed automatic do the shifting or play with shifter paddles on the three spoke steering wheel. All-wheel drive lets the VW CC hunker down on take off and around curves (albeit with some lean.)
Meanwhile occupants are being treated to a comfortable ride in well-padded and bolstered seats. The VW CC is a fine cross-country cruiser--for two. The backseat is tight thanks in large part to the swoopy coupe-like roofline.
That profile--make a four door look like a two door--is in vogue these days. Volkswagen does it well here. The CC turned lots of heads.
There's a bold cross strut chrome grille, big 18-inch wheels and doors without window frames and a close-coupled stance.
That stylish profile can be found for $12,000 less in a four-cylinder version. Of course you lose the 280 horsepower 3.6L V-6 and all-wheel drive and a host of automotive wonders.
VW shuns the intuitive. Look it up in the manual, is their mantra. The key looks like a regular remote starter fob. But there's no separate starter button. Instead, insert the fob into a slot and push to start. When you back up the navigation screen goes blank--no backup camera.
All of that quirkiness is forgotten when the VW CC winds it up with the throaty roar that satisfies the automotive soul.
Volkswagen CC VR6 4Motion
Dimensions...106.7" wheelbase; 188.9" length.
Base Price...$39,300/tested $42,630.
Fuel Economy...17/25 mpg.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women