WASHINGTON, Feb. 18 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- "Action announced this week by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Lisa Jackson continues the Administration's path towards safer and cleaner air for all of us," said Dr. Jane L. Delgado, President and CEO of the National Alliance for Hispanic Health, the nation's leading Hispanic health advocacy group. Tuesday, the EPA announced it would consider whether to regulate carbon dioxide emissions from coal-fired plants, a move advocated for by numerous environmental and public health groups including the Alliance.
The decision announced by Administrator Jackson could potentially reverse a December 2008 action by the former EPA administrator that exempts consideration of carbon-dioxide output in federal applications to build new coal-fired power plants. Regulating carbon dioxide emissions could effect approximately 100 current permit applications to build new coal-fired power plants as well as future applications.
Today, approximately 15 percent of all Hispanics live within 10 miles of a coal-fired plant. According to Dr. Delgado, "these families face an elevated risk of developing asthma and other respiratory conditions from living under a smoke plume. The Administration's action on coal-fired plants is the right thing to do for the health of all communities and the planet's well-being."
About the National Alliance for Hispanic Health
The National Alliance for Hispanic Health is the nation's foremost source of information and trusted advocate for the health of Hispanics in the United States. The Alliance represents thousands of Hispanic health providers across the nation providing services to more than 15 million each year, making a daily difference in the lives of Hispanic communities and families. For more information, visit http://www.hispanichealth.org/ or call the Alliance's Su Familia National Hispanic Family Health Helpline at 1-866-783-2645. National Alliance for Hispanic Health
Web Site: http://www.hispanichealth.org/
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women