WASHINGTON, Dec. 24 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- "Health is more than insurance coverage, but it is critical that this step be accomplished as we continue our journey towards health care for all. The entire Alliance network is committed to working with Congress to ensure health insurance reform is new legislation that is signed in 2010," said Dr. Jane L. Delgado, President and CEO of the National Alliance for Hispanic Health, the nation's leading Hispanic health advocacy group.
The Alliance urged its members to write to Congress to support timely passage of a health insurance reform bill that combines the best elements of House and Senate passed versions of legislation. Among actions urged by Alliance members:
- End no later than 2013 the practice of limiting or denying coverage because of pre-existing conditions (House version);
- Allow any resident to purchase health insurance on exchange using their own funds (House version); and,
- Include community health center funding to expand or establish new health centers in 10,000 communities (Senate and House versions).
More than a third (37.1%) of Hispanic workers are uninsured according to the latest data from the Department of Health and Human Services. According to Dr. Delgado, "with one million Hispanics losing their job over the past year the economic crisis is increasing the number of families that must go without insurance."
Editors Note: The Alliance's Health Insurance Reform and Hispanic Communities side-by-side comparison of House and Senate health insurance reform legislation is included with this release or can be emailed to you by contact Adam Segal at 202-422-4673 or [email protected]
The Alliance's Statement of Principles on Access to Affordable Quality Health Care is available at http://www.hispanichealth.org/principles/.
About the National Alliance for Hispanic Health: The Alliance is the nation's foremost science-based source of information and trusted advocate for the health of Hispanics in the United States. The Alliance represents thousands of Hispanic health providers across the nation providing services to more than 15 million each year, making a daily difference in the lives of Hispanic communities and families. For more information, visit http://www.hispanichealth.org/ or call the Alliance's Su Familia National Hispanic Family Health Helpline at 1-866-783-2645. National Alliance for Hispanic Health
Web Site: http://www.hispanichealth.org/
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women