UFC Debut --> Kimbo Slice made his long-awaited debut in the UFC octagon on Wednesday night and here's what we learned: He's a lot like Mike Tyson.
Except for the fact that Mike Tyson actually had a very successful first half of his career.
Slice proved again on Spike TV that as a mixed martial arts fighter, quite simply, that he's not very good. He was TKO'd by a 265 pound Roy Nelson, in the second round.
That means in his last two fights, Slice has been knocked out twice. The first time in 14 seconds.
The big winner was Spike TV and the UFC. Ratings are likely to set records for the cable network. UFC signed Slice to appear in its reality show The Ultimate Fighter as a pure ratings ploy. Slice became the most famous mixed arts fighter in the world after a few backyard street fights went viral on YouTube.
He was signed by EliteXC and appeared on national television on CBS. A month after Slice was knocked out, EliteXC folded, and Slice later found a home with UFC.
Slice's future is uncertain, although the buzz in the MMA world is that he will return to the already-taped show to replace a contestant who gets injured. More Slice and more big ratings to come.
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Target Overwhelmed by Worried Customers
- Congress Ends Turbulent Year with Approving IRS Chief
- First Family Arrives for Hawaiian Island Holiday
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Kanye, Kardashians and Other Kooks: A Wacky, Tacky, Entertaining Year
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.