QuieroLatino.com, a new online dating Web site for U.S. Hispanics, is hoping to lure single Hispanics away from mainstream dating sites by offering what it says is a "culturally friendly" environment for meeting other Hispanic singles.
The Web site, which debuted in February, is the brainchild of Penn Law School graduate Ariel Oxman and Joe Spector, a Wharton MBA and former Wall Street banker. In December 2006, the pair entered the dating site's business plan into the Wharton Business Plan Competition. It didn't win, but the plan served as the launching point for QuieroLatino.
Mr. Oxman estimates there are two million Hispanic singles currently using mainstream online dating services and chances are the majority of them want to meet other Hispanics, he says.
"According to U.S. Census data, 80 percent of married Latinos are married to another Latino," says Mr. Oxman.
The San Francisco-based QuieroLatino is targeting Hispanics, both bilingual and English-only speakers, between the ages of 21 to 45. For a free membership users can create a profile and check out other users' profiles. However, in order to meet another user, members will have to sign up for a monthly subscription fee of $24.95.
There are a handful of online dating Web sites targeting Hispanics, including Latinopeoplemeet.com and Migente.com, which is also a social networking site. QuieroLatino stands out, says Mr. Oxman because it's an online web site for Hispanics wanting to meet other eligible Hispanics.
"We want to do for Latinos what J-Date has done for Jewish online dating," he said.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller