Dallas, TX--(HISPANIC PR WIRE)--October 13, 2006--Over 300 people participated at the first “Parents Step Ahead” event held at John W. Runyon Elementary. El Hispano News’ “Parents Step Ahead” is a community outreach initiative with the mission of educating, enabling and empowering parents to take an active role in the educational and personal development of their children.
Event participants attended several seminars ranging from Internet safety, financial literacy, test taking skills, dangers of drugs and gang violence to underage drinking. Additionally, information booths were available for participants to ask questions and receive literature. A raffle of a home computer system was held at the end of the event, Laura Huerta was the winner. One home computer raffle will be held at the end of each event.
The program, with the support of the Dallas Independent School District (DISD), the National Association of Hispanic Publications and corporate sponsors, is open to the public from 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and includes a complimentary breakfast. Event schedule is as follows:
Leila P. Cowart Elementary School
1515 S. Ravinia Dr.
Dallas, TX 75211
Julian T. Saldivar Elementary School
9510 Brockbanck Drive
Dallas, TX 75220
“I feel that this is a great program, and in light of current events, there is an opportunity for AT&T to be proactive in the fight against internet predators” said Terri Johnson from AT&T, a corporate volunteer. Pat Mullins from MVParents.com in partnership with Coors added; “This program is a validation of what young kids are going through…during my seminar two young boys sat in because their parents were abusing alcohol and drugs and they wanted to try to help them. I appreciate the difference “Parents Step Ahead” will make in the lives of families.”
To conclude the program, an Advisory Committee, comprised of local corporate and community leaders, will select participants from the past three events to recognize them as the “Parents Step Ahead” Parents of the Year; and award them with various prizes at El Hispano News’ 20th Anniversary Gala on December 7th, 2006, at the Westin City Center Dallas. The winner will be based on 100% seminar attendance and participation.
Parents Step Ahead is sponsored by American Airlines, Wal-Mart, Coors, AT&T, ETS, UnitedHealthcare, DCCCD, GMAC Financial, Latina Style, El Extra, Novedades News, El Lider USA. And La Paloma Restaurants
El Hispano News
El Hispano News is the oldest Hispanic publication in the Dallas-Fort Worth area; serving the Hispanic community since 1986. Please visit: http://www.elhispanonews.com
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column