MIAMI, May 7 - Cristina Saralegui, a pioneer of Spanish-language talk-shows in the United States, has opened her own television production studio.
Saralegui, a Cuban-American known widely by her first name, on Sunday inaugurated Blue Dolphin Studios, which includes three studios, each of them with seating for up to 500 people.
Cristina joins Oprah Winfrey in the select ranks of the few TV personalities with their own studios, according to Mexican actor Ernesto Laguardia, master of ceremonies at the inauguration.
During the celebration, Miami-Dade County commissioner Miriam Alonso announced that Miami's 112th Avenue, where the new studio's are located, would be named "Cristina's Way."
The studios "are very important to boost the county economically. It's with twice the joy, as a commissioner and a Hispanic, that I'll see the studios begin to produce jobs," Alonso said.
"This is proof that dreams do come true. We started working out of our garage and finally this dream became a reality," Cristina said as she stood with Marcos Avila, her husband and manager.
The surprise of the ceremony was when Father Alberto Cutie, who has his own show and has been one of Cristina's rivals for years, blessed the new complex.
"I know that Marcos Avila and Cristina are going to successfully use these studios to produce programs that will elevate the image of Hispanics and help us all succeed," he said.
"I think they will do great and important things for the world of Hispanic television," according to Mexican singer and actress Angelica Maria.
"It is a great opportunity to be able to make independent productions," Mexican actress Lucia Mendez said.
Among the many people who attended the ceremony were Emilio and Gloria Estefan, Patty Manterola, Maria Conchita Alonso, Andres Garcia, Erika Buenfil, Rodrigo Vidal and Chantal Andere and soap opera producer Roberto Gomez Bolaņos Jr.
Also present were Jorge Ramos, Maria Elena Salinas, Neida Sandoval, Ana Maria Canseco, Maria Celeste Arraras, Raul de Molina and Lily Estefan.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes