MIAMI, May 7 - Cristina Saralegui, a pioneer of Spanish-language talk-shows in the United States, has opened her own television production studio.
Saralegui, a Cuban-American known widely by her first name, on Sunday inaugurated Blue Dolphin Studios, which includes three studios, each of them with seating for up to 500 people.
Cristina joins Oprah Winfrey in the select ranks of the few TV personalities with their own studios, according to Mexican actor Ernesto Laguardia, master of ceremonies at the inauguration.
During the celebration, Miami-Dade County commissioner Miriam Alonso announced that Miami's 112th Avenue, where the new studio's are located, would be named "Cristina's Way."
The studios "are very important to boost the county economically. It's with twice the joy, as a commissioner and a Hispanic, that I'll see the studios begin to produce jobs," Alonso said.
"This is proof that dreams do come true. We started working out of our garage and finally this dream became a reality," Cristina said as she stood with Marcos Avila, her husband and manager.
The surprise of the ceremony was when Father Alberto Cutie, who has his own show and has been one of Cristina's rivals for years, blessed the new complex.
"I know that Marcos Avila and Cristina are going to successfully use these studios to produce programs that will elevate the image of Hispanics and help us all succeed," he said.
"I think they will do great and important things for the world of Hispanic television," according to Mexican singer and actress Angelica Maria.
"It is a great opportunity to be able to make independent productions," Mexican actress Lucia Mendez said.
Among the many people who attended the ceremony were Emilio and Gloria Estefan, Patty Manterola, Maria Conchita Alonso, Andres Garcia, Erika Buenfil, Rodrigo Vidal and Chantal Andere and soap opera producer Roberto Gomez Bolaņos Jr.
Also present were Jorge Ramos, Maria Elena Salinas, Neida Sandoval, Ana Maria Canseco, Maria Celeste Arraras, Raul de Molina and Lily Estefan.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women