Sweat has never been more chic – or more profitable.
Just ask Angel and Willy Banos, whose Gold's Gyms in the Los Angeles area have caught the eye of movie stars, professional athletes, and beautiful people from all over.
The Banos brothers, Cuban Americans who bought their first Gold's Gym in North Hollywood more than a decade ago, now own three franchises, including a 23,000-square-foot gym in Hollywood that is popular among celebrities and a 35,000-square-foot gym/day spa downtown.
"It's going to take our level of service to a higher plateau," says CEO Angel Banos, referring to the downtown location, which will offer enzyme body peels amid free-weight equipment and treadmills.
Pampering fitness club members is the wave of the future, says Mr. Banos. The 48-year-old former shoe-store owner and his 33-year-old brother, the chief financial officer, hope eventually to own 10 gyms in the Los Angeles area.
Can they do it? At the rate they're going, it should be no sweat.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property