Hispanic Employment Program Managers (HEPMs) are individuals in federal agencies charged with improving the representation of Hispanics in the work force. Specifically, they work to implement the Office of Personnel Management's 10-Point Model Agency Hispanic Employment Plan. Tools at their disposal include Executive Order 13171, which mandates that agency heads "provide a plan for recruiting Hispanics that creates a fully diverse work force."
Brad Veloz, chairman of the Hispanic Employment Program Managers Council, says the HEPMs meet once a month to share recruiting and outreach techniques. Meetings are open to the public, and interested parties should contact Mr. Veloz (see directory listing under Commerce Department).
"The process [of getting a government job] seems to be moving online more and more," says Mr. Veloz. Interested job seekers may submit resumes to the Office of Personnel Management site at www.opm.gov or check with job sites at specific agencies, such as his at Commerce (http://ohrm.doc.gov/jobs).
The economic slowdown and new emphasis on national security have made government jobs more popular in the last year. "A lot of folks are moving over to government jobs," confirms Mr. Veloz. "I've been inundated with resumes from people who have incredible backgrounds, especially in the field of computer science. We hope to capture some of that and improve the representation of Hispanics in the work force."
The names on this directory were supplied by the HEPM Council. All individuals were contacted by HISPANIC BUSINESS to confirm their HEPM status and their contact information.
Most Popular Stories
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison