January 10 - Oscar nominee Edward James Olmos will be among the speakers at the 2001 Business Leadership Summit in Stockton. Olmos, who has been referred to as the Laurence Olivier of the Latino world, will give a talk titled "We're All in the Same Gang."
He is the first in a slate of speakers for the Oct. 6 event. Summit officials said Tuesday that they expect to announce others in the coming weeks.
Olmos won Emmy and Golden Globe awards for his portrayal of Lt. Castillo on the television series "Miami Vice." He also received a Golden Globe and an Emmy nomination for his work in HBO's "The Burning Season," the story of Brazilian political activist Chico Mendes.
Perhaps his best-known work was his portrayal of math teacher Jaime Escalante in the movie "Stand and Deliver." That effort garnered him nominations for both an Oscar and a Tony.
Named the most-influential Latino American in a survey by Hispanic Trends, Olmos in 1999 launched a nationwide multimedia project called "Americanos: Latino Life in the United States." The project, co-sponsored by Time Warner Inc., celebrates Latino culture through photography, film, music and the printed word.
"Americanos" includes a five-year traveling exhibition organized by the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service and the Smithsonian Center for Latino initiatives; a music compact disc; an HBO documentary; and a book of essays, photos and commentary.
In addition, Olmos is the U.S. goodwill ambassador for UNICEF and the national spokesman for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. He also is the executive director for the Lives in Hazard Educational Project, a national gang-prevention program funded by the U.S. Department of Justice.
Retired Army Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf was the keynote speaker at last year's edition of the Summit.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction